Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Little Steps

When you have 4 children, it's quickly easy to see just how fast you can accumulate 'junk'. Many days, it seems like it's everywhere, and if you don't stay on top of it, it will soon run you out of the house.

Along with the junk, it's easy to see what a throw-away society we are. Everything these days seems to be disposable- for our 'convenience', but I have to wonder if that convenience tends to teach us a poor character trait of wastefulness, and help to fuel our lack of appreciation for things. And don't get me wrong- I'm just as guilty as anyone else.

It seemed like we were going through paper products at a massive rate- simple dinner napkins being at the top of the list. The children were using a little tiny corner, then throwing them away. A few months ago, I found a few yards of material, and my mom cut them into squares, serged them with her serger, and voila- pretty reusable napkins. Thanks Mom! They've worked out really well- just throw them in with the wash, and I feel better that the children are learning to reuse things. Every little bit helps, right?

No comments: